BC Summer Student, Outreach Coordinator
9 weeks at 4 days/week at 30hours/week
From Canada’s big cities to its remote land, waters, and rural communities,
Tides Canada provides uncommon solutions for the common good.
Our mission is to help Canadians secure a healthy environment in ways that promote
social equity and economic prosperity. To tackle the complex environmental and social
problems that we face in Canada today, Tides Canada provides strategy, expertise, and tools
to ensure changemakers can get from vision to impact.
The Freshwater Alliance, a project on the Tides Canada shared platform, is a national initiative that builds, connects and supports freshwater constituencies across Canada. We work with environmental organizations, community groups, governments and businesses to strengthen citizen engagement and participation in the protection of our lakes and rivers.
Position Summary: Our Summer Outreach Coordinator (Summer Student) will be responsible for supporting the coordination of community outreach at events and/or town halls across British Columbia. Events will celebrate the connection of our communities with our lakes, rivers and waterways and will be designed to increase public narratives, strengthen community engagement and raise awareness on water decisions affecting communities. Events will, where possible, leverage Canada’s 150year celebrations emphasizing the current and historical importance of water to our communities, including First Nations and non-First Nations
- Organize and lead in community outreach efforts in the Lower Mainland and Vancouver Island for the Our Water BC initiative, including:
- Attend a minimum of 3 local festivals and events on behalf of Our Water BC
- Support the organizing of local events and activities (ie. local town halls, film screenings etc).
- Attend other regional events as needed
- Produce compelling social media posts
- Contribute a minimum of 2 blog posts
- Contribute to monthly initiative e-blasts
- Support development of outreach materials
- Host a minimum of 2 volunteer engagement sessions
- Other volunteer engagement activities as defined by interest of local volunteers
- Support initiative communications, including:
- Facilitate the deepening of engagement for local volunteers, including:
- Participate in regular team meetings.
This position is made possible with support from Canada Summer Jobs and only applicants who meet all of the following criteria will be considered:
- Between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
- Have been registered as full-time students in the previous academic year and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in September;
- Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act3; and
- Legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulations.
- An understanding of, and enthusiasm for protecting the health of the region’s freshwater
- Experience with community volunteerism, engagement and outreach activities
- Ability to organize events and willingness to communicate with residents of British Columbia on issues of freshwater health
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including social media tools and use of basic computer programs
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills
- A valid driver’s license and occasional access to use of an automobile is an asset but not required
How to Apply:
Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com by June 28, 2017 and include “BC Summer Outreach Coordinator” in the subject line. In your cover letter, please help us understand why you’re the ideal candidate by addressing the following questions:
- Do you meet the Canada Summer Jobs requirements outlined above?
- What interests you most about this position?
- Briefly tell us how your skills and experiences are a good fit for this position.
For more information about the Canadian Freshwater Alliance and Tides Canada, please visit:
As Canadian Freshwater Alliance is on Tides Canada’s Shared Platform,
the selected candidate will be an employee of Tides Canada.
Tides Canada is strongly committed to creating a diverse workplace environment and
we welcome and encourage applications from the communities we serve.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Tides Canada will provide accommodation during all steps of the hiring process, upon request, to applicants with disabilities. Please advise us if you require any accommodation.
Our sincere appreciation to all those expressing interest in the position, however,
only those applicants invited for an interview will be contacted. Thank you for your interest!
We will accept applications until June 28, 2017 No phone calls or recruiters please